Post subject: Workaround for Goomba Color saves appearing as 32k on ez3
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:27 am
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:06 am Posts: 40
1. Prepare a dummy rom that uses a save type of flash 512Kbit (and preferably old enough to support soft reset). It is also important that the game in it doesn't change the save memory while it is loading the start screen. I found 0095 - Advance Wars to be suitable for this purpose.
2. After playing the Goomba colour rom, L+R/exit. Switch off and restart the system again.
I believe at this moment the SRAM save is still in memory and will not be erased automatically (only overwritten as other roms are loaded with their saves). The loader will only save the first 32kb after the system is restarted, but the last 32kb is still in there somewhere. Here comes the trick...
3. MANUAL load the 32kb save for the goomba colour rom by navigating to the SAVER folder and running the save (e.g. goomba.sav). ONLY THEN, navigate to the folder with the roms and load the dummy rom.
This is very important in order to prevent the dummy rom from autoloading its own save (if it does) and overwrite whatever you are trying to save in the first place :O
4. SOFT RESET as soon as possible. Hopefully the dummy rom doesn't do anything to modify the save memory (refer to 1)
5. After the reset, no matter the loader backs up the save file or not, MANUAL save can be done in the SAVER folder to save the entire 64kb (due to the dummy rom loaded last). It can be saved to multiple files for greater safety.
6. To continue the goomba colour game in future, just MANUAL load the save file of the dummy rom, before running the goomba colour rom.
3,4,5 do not have be done immediately after 2, but they should be done together before a different game is played. Make sure the MANUAL loads/saves are done correctly before loading the different roms
PS: I know that as of goomba colour alpha tb3, many games can work fine despite having only 32k save files. But apparently some games have conflicts. e.g. pokemon red will somehow wipe the saves for pokemon pinball (which only uses 2k sram, strange), but not the other way round. Although the way ez3 loader works is part of the problem, this could be some current limitation of goomba colour as well. In fact this was the reason that lead to the discovery of this workaround.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot post attachments in this forum