EZ-Flash USA Forum

Forum for the EZ-Flash I, II, III, IV & V Gameboy Advance & Nintendo DS USA Forum (Unofficial) Open since 2004!
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Sponsor
 Post subject: DSi update 1.4, fix now available.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:12 am 

Update 3 by FAST6191
We now have a v12 firmware that should work on all revisions of the EZ5i and the DSi with firmware 1.4. It is otherwise the same as V11 but users of V11 on the [705] hardware revision will need to find a SD card to update with.
Here is the thread you want to read:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13991

Update 2 by FAST6191
OK some clarification thanks to talks with Mbmax. This post will also appear in the first post on this thread ( viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14940 ).

The update has been released, it uses an icon and info from a game so the EZTeam do not wish to host it on their servers (I would argue it is legal by way of Sega vs Accolade ( http://digital-law-online.info/cases/24PQ2D1561.htm ) but the EZTeam are not exactly in a position to defend themselves in a US court and are on a US host these days anyway, please note sosuke's is also on the same host).
The fix has been released but I am not going to spread it for now reasoning below.

As mentioned elsewhere the EZ5i has an internal loader that can be updated, thus far it was not of that much use but now Nintendo have started the block and workaround game it is of use. You need to have some device capable of running the EZ5i to do it however (DS, DSlite, pre 1.4 firmware DSi; if you have to borrow one it will only take 30 odd seconds as you can see in the video I will link again below).

It should ultimately not matter but for now it will; there are mutiple revisions of the EZ5i available generally given a three number identifier code (most commonly 705 and 805). Internal firmware/loader updates can target these revisions as we have seen before.
The V11 firmware that has been released fixes the EZ5i to run on DSi 1.4 firmwares but has a problem with the 705 using 8gb kingston memory cards (fairly common as they are also good), the problem is that said memory cards will cause the 705 to whitescreen while other revisions should be fine.
You can still use regular microSD (1GB and 2GB tested) with the v11 firmware and 705 hardware revision but we still do not suggest doing it. No word on other micro SDHC cards at this time.
The V12 firmware fixes this problem but the person who does the EZTeam's EZ5i internal firmware compiling is out today (code is fixed though) so it will have to wait probably until tomorrow.

Please also note the bootloader has been changed so trying to downgrade to an earlier firmware from v11 will brick your EZ5i.

Again the video:

If you lack flash but wish to download it then (format is youtube standard MP4 container H264 video):
http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_ ... mo=&fmt=18

Links are available for those that want it in the thread. We strongly suggest you wait for V12 however and we request you do not spread the v11 firmware if you can.

Update by FAST6191.
All flash carts were blocked by the 1.4 update and various makers are working around it.
The EZTeam have released a video showing an update to the EZ5i that allows you to work around this block.
You can see it here:

For those wondering you will need access to a DS that can run an EZ5i to update the cart (DS, DSlite, DSi with something lower than 1.4).

We have no firm release dates as the EZTeam want to do some testing but early next week is the aim. News will be here and on GBAtemp as soon as it happens.

Original post:
Hi there.
As you probably already knows, we have a new update for the DSi. This firmware 1.4 adds Facebook photo uploads, boost camera function and blocks flashcards.

So for now don't do this update until the team release a fix for the EZVi. ;)

Sponsor
 Post subject: Re: [WARNING!] Don't do the DSi firmware 1.4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:37 am 

:( I hope you can solve it with v10 firmware update!!

Post subject: Re: [WARNING!] Don't do the DSi firmware update 1.4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:32 am 

:shock: woah! it's a good thing my DSi is US version coz I was fooling around earlier today and was trying to update my firmware before I saw this news, that was a close one :!:

Firmware: EZ5i v101
Kernel: 3.0 OB2
MicroSDHC: Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:09 am 

How fast do the update come :?:
sorr fore my bad english

EZ5 kenel 2.0 RC14 (Good!)

Report Bad Bugs at http://www.ezflash.cn/feedback

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 am 

This is the first time this has ever happened, so I don't think anyone has a straight answer for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:14 pm 

:eeek: I started the update, it failed due to an unreliable net connection. upon restart I couldn't load my EZ-Flash Vi :( even an unfinished update blocks the flash card... hope that helps to fix this (even in the smallest of ways)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I already made this an announcement but some things will need clarifying anyway, I am not well versed in DSi security so I will have to forgo a truly technical answer until I do some more reading:

The DSi has a firmware which unlike previous DS models is capable of sweeping change (the last major user level change on earlier models was the addition of wifi back in late 2005, homebrew firmwares did not take it that much further either).

The DSi had security against existing flash carts from day one (flash carts are but a somewhat crude copy of an official cart and so can be detected).

All present DSi compatible flash carts still use the "legacy" DS mode of the DSi and lack access to the expanded capabilites of the DSi, what I do know is that they either closely match or indeed rip off wholesale an existing DS game in an attempt to fool the DSi security (get a copy of any DSi cart "rom" and pull it apart or indeed feed it into a DS rom info tool and you will see). Team Twiizers of Wii fame have actual DSi mode homebrew running but nothing has yet come of it:
http://hackmii.com/2009/07/dsi-mode-homebrew-anyone/
Several prominent hackers and coders of the GBA and DS are also known to be fiddling with things.

If you have already upgraded you can not downgrade your DSi to a working firmware at present and there is no estimated timeframe for a workaround there.

The first two points means that most of the DSi compatible cards were built with the ability to update and this includes the EZ5i. The EZ5i however does not have a hardware unit or a cable to update but can be done from any DS capable device.

We do not know if this is "final", nobody has released any information about how the blocking works* and a new generation of flash carts will be needed but we suspect not. Rest assured the EZTeam and every other team will be looking into this, when the official word comes it will appear on this site.

Edit: thank you R3P1N5 that is good to know. I dare say it will not help the EZTeam much (they are probably going to attack it from the cart side) but for someone playing with the firmware updates with an eye to making a hacked/custom one it will be useful.

*to save wild theorising here is an excerpt from the as yet unreleased hardware hacking sister document to my rom hacking documents, it is unreleased as it is unfinished an so probably misses something out but hopefully it being present can help steer this thread a bit. Personally I suspect that DSi carts are still a crude copy and that they were detected that way:

1)File name. Here files or certain names will be detected, file names can be altered at will and often will use the same/similar names to important files. Making lists of files you do not want to run is known as blacklisting.
2)File hashing. Hashing was explained earlier but the file in question can be hashed and checked against a list. If hashes work properly they will change with the file so they can be used to detect changes. A problem comes when you think who gets to provide the list, if you can secure it then so be it but you often are unable to do such a thing so you then sign a file. Signing was already covered ( http://www.youdzone.com/signature.html ) but it relies on mathematically derived security to work.
As the original xbox and the wii (with the trucha hack) saw you need to use a good algorithm* and use it properly, such a method is known as whitelisting.
*It is not just those on the side of the developers that fall foul of this: CRC32 is used by many rom managers for the GBA to detect hacked roms/make sure they are good. Some groups then added intros and changed the junk to make the hash match the original file (CRC32 is regarded as weak when it comes to detecting file tampering/forging but it considered OK to detect corrupt files.
Furthermore as files get larger and computing power for the hacker increases hashing takes more and more resources.
3)File/point analysis also known as signature analysis. Most hacks rely on a specific weakness or set of weaknesses, if you can detect such an exploit you can do something about it. Most recently the twilight hack for the wii has seen such a fix where the longer horse name was detected (it should not be there in normal files) and the exploit subsequently countered (although Nintendo did not do it correctly and the hack was resurrected several times).
You can also perform a partial analysis of the file itself; many devices will check the header of a file or sections thereof and not work if the check fails. In US law such a check and the legal implications of it are usually considered to fall under the ruling from Sega versus Accolade: http://digital-law-online.info/cases/24PQ2D1561.htm .
In the case of computer hardware it is common for code to be pulled apart at a software level (think disassembly) and analysed for exploits by the virus checker, this leads onto method 4).
Either way changes can be made by the code itself, the code can just be a loader (the twilight hack is little more than a loader for ELF/DOL files) which can be a common program, can generate the program to run, can modify itself (most operations on a computer have several hundred simple methods and even more obtuse ones), can be encrypted (thus preventing analysis until decrypted).
As an aside a halfway house between blacklisting and whitelisting is called greylisting and works by flagging files for more in depth analysis or putting them into a “sandbox” (see method 4) below), targeting them more closely, putting them on a watchlist for heuristics.
4)Heuristics, hypervisors and virtual machines. Here a piece of hardware or software will attempt to detect an exploit in progress and shut it down before it can work. In the case of the DS the original models had a device called the passme, these devices jumped the DS to the GBA memory pack to run code from there. Nintendo prevented this in a hardware update (although they did not consider the SRAM of the GBA cart and the passme2 was born using essentially the same method)
Hypervisors are used to lock down a system in a given mode and usually work by being a middleman between the hardware the code it is running, in some cases it is used to aid the code by providing a simpler means to interact and in others it is used in a security role: the PS3 has one when running in linux mode to prevent access to all the hardware, the Wii has one when running in gamecube mode for similar reasons (which may well have stopped software attacks but did not prevent the interfacing by means of hardware: see “tweezer” attack http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiBrew:FAQ#How ... _happen.3F ). Your computer firewall is a hypervisor of sorts.
Virtual machines are a form of emulation which can be made into a very restricted environment for people to use running on a host machine. The idea is that the operations are essentially a software program and limited/can be easily killed and on the flip side emulation can be closely monitored. It takes a lot or resources to do (and aside from theory will never match the true performance of a system), limitations are not appreciated by end users (any limitations will need to be fairly drastic to prevent exploits which makes the situation even worse) and in the case of software can present licensing issues (is it one machine or many?).
Hypervisors and virtual machines can be made to act as a sandbox of sorts where the idea is no real damage can happen to a machine.
Blocking code from running; hardware version
The following section looks at problems that can be done from a hardware point of view.
5)At some level hacking requires you to read (sniff if you prefer) a bus, read a memory section, read the outputs of a given “circuit”. If you encase your bus in a discrete chip rather than having it as part of a circuit board it becomes markedly harder to read, encryption also works but the resource penalties apply.
6)The xbox 360 saw the use of so called efuses from IBM, these are fuses that can be blown in the hardware providing a means to tell what version something was at. This helps prevent people downgrading to an earlier version and because they are part of the main CPU it is incredibly hard for people to repair them.
7)“Chip” detection has been seen in some arcade machines (resistance measured on tracks), case sensors/lid sensors and cart sensors are common in all areas of computing and more recently it has been hypothesised that microsoft uses similar methods to detect whether an xbox 360 has been powered without a drive/fan/similar and act accordingly (no end user should ever be in that position).
8)Some of the new optical media systems (blu ray) have so called key revocation (AACS is the name of the encryption), while this could be counted as a software method that fact extra hardware is used means it will come under hardware. Similar methods are used in the xbox 360 where keys are banned for online use, by substituting keys from another console you can “unban” an 360 ( http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=630745 )
Here the player keys (AACS is a fairly complex encryption method, more here: http://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felte ... e-released ) used to decrypt discs are made to not work on future discs by way of only having important sections able to be decrypted by certain sets of keys (which can be made to not include the “cracked” players).

DS rom rips, hacking and enhancements
GBA and DS rom hacking guide
Collection of useful threads for the EZ5 (kept updated)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 pm 

Good to hear that the EZVi is upgradeable. But will the upgrade work?

Why do NintenDOH do this to us? Dont they know all the people with flash karts also buy from the shop so if you ban those people from using the karts there is less chance they will buy from the shop. Morons.

I dont understand why there is so much anti-piracy going on. It will be cracked a few days after it gets released so it wasnt really anything was it.
How about they just get on with releasing good updates and leave the anti-piracy out of it. It's just a waste of their own time and effort. They take months to set it up for a few days of relief.
So they are happy for a few days. We are happy for months at a time. GET OVER IT. You will NEVER stop piracy NintenDOH! It's here to stay if you like it or not.

It's the same over at $ony and the effort to stop CFW on the P$P. Never gonna happen. It will always be cracked and they cant stop it.

Now, Team EZ (Or whatever your called) good luck with cracking this firmware. Should'nt be too hard. You've already done it once and you can do it again. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:49 am 

NakedFaerie wrote:
Good to hear that the EZVi is upgradeable. But will the upgrade work?

Why do NintenDOH do this to us? Dont they know all the people with flash karts also buy from the shop so if you ban those people from using the karts there is less chance they will buy from the shop. Morons.

I dont understand why there is so much anti-piracy going on. It will be cracked a few days after it gets released so it wasnt really anything was it.
How about they just get on with releasing good updates and leave the anti-piracy out of it. It's just a waste of their own time and effort. They take months to set it up for a few days of relief.
So they are happy for a few days. We are happy for months at a time. GET OVER IT. You will NEVER stop piracy NintenDOH! It's here to stay if you like it or not.

It's the same over at $ony and the effort to stop CFW on the P$P. Never gonna happen. It will always be cracked and they cant stop it.

Now, Team EZ (Or whatever your called) good luck with cracking this firmware. Should'nt be too hard. You've already done it once and you can do it again. :)

Piracy is good and all(for most of us consumers who want to save money anyway) but it's killing Nintendo and other game developers, Nintendo is doing this because they want more developers to support their hardware, and with less piracy = more AAA titles from Nintendo and other game devs alike, sure piracy is here to stay BUT that won't stop Nintendo and Sony from trying to stop it or at least minimize it. I'm also using flashcarts and download ROMs but if I really like a certain game I'll buy an original copy of it just to support the devs who worked hard and spent money to develop that game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:36 am 

ryl3n wrote:
Piracy is good and all(for most of us consumers who want to save money anyway) but it's killing Nintendo and other game developers, Nintendo is doing this because they want more developers to support their hardware, and with less piracy = more AAA titles from Nintendo and other game devs alike, sure piracy is here to stay BUT that won't stop Nintendo and Sony from trying to stop it or at least minimize it. I'm also using flashcarts and download ROMs but if I really like a certain game I'll buy an original copy of it just to support the devs who worked hard and spent money to develop that game.

I also buy good games but I haven't seen any on the DS/Wii yet. They are very poor compared to the PSP and PS3.
It looks like the Wii/DS are a generation behind. I think they are probably equal to the PS1, maybe early PS2 games. The DS is just a glorified GameBoy. Compare it to the PSP or (I hate to say this) the iPhone and it doesn't come in the same category.

NintenDOH really need to rethink thier hardware. If they want to really make a difference then do it, dont just put another face on an old product. I never had or used a GameCube but I was told the Wii is just a GC with a wireless controller. The graphics and CPU are the same....

Also, I'm right into the pirating of DS/Wii games as NintenDOH are so rude. They did the dirty on me and proved they dont care about customers so why should i care for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:19 am 

NakedFaerie wrote:
ryl3n wrote:

I also buy good games but I haven't seen any on the DS/Wii yet. They are very poor compared to the PSP and PS3.
It looks like the Wii/DS are a generation behind. I think they are probably equal to the PS1, maybe early PS2 games. The DS is just a glorified GameBoy. Compare it to the PSP or (I hate to say this) the iPhone and it doesn't come in the same category.

NintenDOH really need to rethink thier hardware. If they want to really make a difference then do it, dont just put another face on an old product. I never had or used a GameCube but I was told the Wii is just a GC with a wireless controller. The graphics and CPU are the same....

Also, I'm right into the pirating of DS/Wii games as NintenDOH are so rude. They did the dirty on me and proved they dont care about customers so why should i care for them.

Well sure graphically the DS is a generation behind but gameplay wise I prefer it over psp, I also have a PSP, PS3, and Xbox360 and you can't compare a home console to a handheld console, as for psp I still prefer my DSi over it, well maybe because I'm a RPG lover I've already finished all RPG on the psp that I think is good that's why I switched over to DS(which has plenty of great RPG's), and I've been playing games since the NES years so I don't care much about graphics as long as I enjoy the gameplay. If you've been in the gaming scene for a long time you should have known by now that Nintendo doesn't focus much on graphics but instead they focus on gameplay innovations, If you enjoy your PSP more than your DS then good for you, I just don't find most of psp games appealing(same old, same old, no innovation what so ever), like they say to each his own. You don't need to care for nintendo or anyone else for that matter I'm only stating the reason why they(and other devs) are trying to prevent piracy. No one can force you to like Nintendo products, you have a choice.

On topic: I hope the EZ team find a way to bypass fw 1.4 before Nintendo release it in the US

Last edited by ryl3n on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:27 am 

ryl3n wrote:
Well sure graphically the DS is a generation behind but gameplay wise I prefer it over psp, I also have a PSP, PS3, and Xbox360 and you can't compare a home console to a handheld console, as for psp I still prefer my DSi over it, well maybe because I'm a RPG lover I've already finished all RPG on the psp that I think is good that's why I switched over to DS(which has plenty of great RPG's), and I've been playing games since the NES years so I don't care much about graphics as long as I enjoy the gameplay. If you've been in the gaming scene for a long time you should have known by now that Nintendo doesn't focus much on graphics but instead they focus on gameplay innovations, If you enjoy your PSP more than your DS then good for you, I just don't find most of psp games appealing(same old, same old, no innovation what so ever), like they say to each his own. You don't need to care for nintendo or anyone else for that matter I'm only stating the reason why they(and other devs) are trying to prevent piracy. No one can force you to like Nintendo products, it's your choice.

On topic: I hope the EZ team find a way to bypass fw 1.4 before Nintendo release it in the US

I didnt say the DS is bad, its just outdated. Graphically its the last on the market. And gameplay, well its more kiddy like than the PSP. My daughter loves the DS but I got a DSi for other games that I like (GTA). It's still got that hold over the PSP with touch screen so its still got its good bits.
Dev's choose what platform to create games for and I bet they all know the DS has the most piracy so they should expect it.

Damn, It looks like I've hijacked the thread and started ranting on about.... shut up!....

I hope the EZ team crack it soon. It's only been 1 day so give them some time...
Is it really worth updating now? I like the facebook uploading part but I dont use the DSi camera that often. If I want to send a photo to facebook I use the iphone as its a better camera and probably faster anyway.
Anyone know more about the 1.4 update? I heard photo to facebook, faster camera, new internet browser. anything else?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:14 am 

Another thing, Team EZ, if you need a beta tester then drop me a line. I'll update my DSi and try it out for ya.
I also got a DS Lite so I can still flash the card. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:27 am 

Great to know that EZ-Team will work on update but I think for me it's game over, I updated firmware to 1.4E :cry: . So now I can only play Asphalt, Cubos and other stuff from DSi Ware. By the way games for DSi are way too expensive in comparison to PSP games. I thought DSi will be better than PSP that is about 3 or 4 years on market but it's still modded DSLite they could at least add Skype to it, but regadless of it DSi still have potential to be much better console. Now I will just wait and see what flashcart teams will do. Hope EZ-Team will make some flashig device (like supecard ds onei) to write firmware without dsi.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 pm 

doH! my brother just updated my dsi :( tell me that it'll be cracked, or i'll crack my brother lol
i hate playing with my old ds fat

Sponsor
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next