EZ-Flash USA Forum

Forum for the EZ-Flash I, II, III, IV & V Gameboy Advance & Nintendo DS USA Forum (Unofficial) Open since 2004!
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Sponsor
 Post subject: Possible to convert GBC sav? Cheat with Goomba colour?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:00 am 

Hi,

I'm using the modified Goomba Colour to play Pokemon silver. I wanted to put on a few gameshark cheats so I took the .sav and the .gba from my sd card to play through VBA.
The gameshark codes wouldn't load, I'm presuming this is because the game has been slightly modified.

So then I tried the sav with the original gbc file and it wouldn't load the sav. I'm presuming because it is a 64kb sav file now, whereas Pokemon Silver requires 32kb.

So is there anyway I can convert the file back to a 32kb? Would that work and allow me to put gameshark codes on the game?
Or should I do something else?

Thanks guys,

Jibib

Sponsor
 Post subject: Re: Possible to convert GBC sav? Cheat with Goomba colour?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 am 
 WWW  Profile

Gameshark codes should have still worked- "slightly modified" usually does not change the locations of the stats and whatever else in the ram although I admit I am not that familiar with the GB/GBC boot sequence and operations.

As for slicing the save back chances are you have goomba's save format wrapped around the pokemon one so slicing it might not sort the issue.

Still if it is just a matter of slicing it around any hex editor should be able to do it http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... /xvi32.htm is the usual free one we suggest. You want to slice it off after 8000 (it should end at 10000)- all numbers in hexadecimal there.

For what it is worth those VBA (not sure about VBA-m) is not the best GBC emulator and you will probably be better served with a dedicated emulator. I am not sure what PC emulators got updated to work with the BIOS now it got dumped (mainly useful for having hardware style colour options as opposed to the guessed ones).

Edit- I see you got some help on dwedit's forum.

DS rom rips, hacking and enhancements
GBA and DS rom hacking guide
Collection of useful threads for the EZ5 (kept updated)